Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sikkim Traders stay away from Silk Route Trade for 3 days


NATHULA TRADERS PROTEST AGAINST OBSOLETE LIST OF ITEMS FOR TRADE

GANGTOK, September 18: The non-fulfilment of the assurances made by the Central Government to revise the obsolete list of items for trade over the Nathula Pass has led the local traders to launch a protest.
The traders, led by the Indo-China Traders Association of Sikkim, decided not to take part in the trade for three days in protest against the outdated list of items which needs immediate revision. Traders did not do any business on September 13 (Thursday) and September 17 and 18 (Monday and Tuesday).
Anil Kumar Gupta, general secretary, ICTAS, said that this decision was prompted by the lack of concern shown by the authorities towards improving trading over the Nathula Pass. “One of our major demands has been the immediate revision of the present list of items, which is proving to be the biggest hurdle in the trade. Despite assurances from the Central Government, including the Union Minister of State for Commerce, Jairam Ramesh and the State Government, nothing has been done so far,” Mr. Gupta said.
The present list of items for import-export is virtually redundant and based on trading that took place 44 years ago. “Items like Yak skin and tail, sheep and horses does not make business sense any more. There is no demand for most of the items listed for import. We are totally handicapped and the volume of trade has been dismally low since the reopening of Nathula trade in June this year,” Mr. Gupta said.
“Both Indian as well as Chinese traders are suffering because of this hurdle,” he added.
Mr. Gupta said that this problem has been brought to the notice of the authorities on a number of occasions but nothing has been done to mitigate this problem. If trade through the Nathula has to flourish and be profitable to both Indian and Chinese traders, this problem has to be solved immediately,” Mr. Gupta said.
The unrealistic items for trade had even prompted Beijing to ask the Indian Government to review the list of earlier this year.
Mr. Gupta also said that the representatives of the ICTAS met the District Collector, East and the Secretary, Industries Department here today to place their grievances.
Apart from the immediate revision of the list of items for trade, the traders are demanding better infrastructure like accommodation for Chinese traders at the Sherathang Trade Mart, and extension of vehicle permits to Nathula for at least a month at a stretch. Presently, vehicle permits to traders are given only for a week and has to be renewed on a weekly basis.
The traders have also alleged harassment in the hands of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) personnel at Nathula, who escorts the traders between Sherathang and Nathula. They allege of harassment of both Indian and Chinese traders by the custom officials as well.
The ICTAS also want the provision for travel permits for helpers and family members of traders be implemented.
“Until and unless these lacunas are removed, trade over Nathula will not pick up,” Mr. Gupta said.
The traders will resume trade from tomorrow, Mr. Gupta added