Gangtok: October 21 Remanti Rai and Robin Mukhia has appealed the people of Sikkim for their support to make them the winners of the ‘North East Ke Super Star’ being telecast on the DD North East Channel. Remanti reaches the final round of singing competition scheduled to be held on 12th November, while Robin is in the final round of dancing competition to be held on 13th November. Addressing a press conference today, the duo finalists informed that a total of 5 singers and 5 dancers from Sikkim were shortlisted for the competition and likewise similar participants were chosen from other north eastern states as well. The finalists informed that in earlier rounds, participants from the different states were mixed up and competitions were conducted by dividing into different groups and talented were shortlisted for the further rounds. The duo finalists informed that in the semi-final round the competition was conducted between participants of their own states to choose the state champion, in which Rai became the state champion in singing and Mukhia became the state champion in dancing categories respectively. Now, the state champions of each state will be performing in the final round. “With our talent and hard work, we have survived so far in the competition but now to win the title of the event is purely depends upon the voting, so we appealed our people to send more vote for us,” the duo finalists requested. The episode of duo in which they became the state champions will be telecast on DD NE Channel today by 9 PM and likewise, state champions in singing of each state will be introduced in the episode of 28th October and state dancing champions will be introduced on 29th October. Adding further, the duo informed that from 29th October midnight the voting lines will be opened till 11th November. To send vote to Ms. Remanti Rai- type SONG RMN and send to 56363 and to send vote of Mr. Robin Mukhia- type DANC RBM and send to 56363.They have also planned to approach the people of neighboring hilly state by visiting Darjeeling, Kalimpong and other areas soon
An earthquake is caused by a sudden slip on a fault, or fracture, in the earth's surface. The tectonic plates on the surface are always slowly moving, but they get stuck at their edges because of friction. When the stress on the edge overcomes the friction, there is an earthquake that releases energy in waves that travel through the earth's crust and create the shaking we feel. An earthquake's magnitude is a measured value of its size and is the same no matter where you are, or how strong or weak the shaking was in different locations. An earthquake's intensity is a measure of the shaking it creates, and varies with location. A magnitude of 8 or higher defines a "great" earthquake; 7 to 7.9 is considered "major"; 6 to 6.9 is "strong"; 5 to 5.9 is "moderate"; 4 to 4.9 is "light"; 3 to 3.9 is "minor"; and less than 3 is "micro." Experts have said that a million people died in earthquakes in the 20th century and that this century might see 10 times as many deaths, with as many as a million killed in a single quake. That is, unless major efforts are made to fortify the world’s growing cities, which are expected to be homes to billions of added residents. Even though the rate of earthquakes over time seems to be more or less unchanging, the world's population explosion means that more people are moving into quake zones, which are often near coasts. The result, the experts say, is the prospect of continuing trauma. "It is inevitable," Klaus H. Jacob, an earthquake expert at Lamont-Doherty, the earth sciences research center of Columbia University, said at the end of the last century. "More and more people, and more and more buildings, are at stake. As the world gets more populous and richer, allowing a more built-up environment, higher buildings and all the infrastructure that supports our civilization, communications and the like, the risk goes up."
GANGTOK, 19 Oct: The State government has submitted a memorandum to the Central government detailing its earthquake damage estimates and rebuilding costs. Officials however inform that the memorandum is not a comprehensive estimate of the total damages incurred by Sikkim, but an estimate of the immediate and short term measures of repair and rehabilitation as required by the Central government. The short term rehabilitation estimate put up by the State comes to approximately Rs. 3,500 crores inform officials while refraining from divulging the exact amount or its detailed break-up. This total, it is informed, includes the cost for immediate restoration and rehabilitation works being undertaken by the line departments. As for the long term rebuilding plans of the State government, these, it is informed, that this will be included as part of the annual plan proposal of the state. These are those works which take a longer time for implementation and are usually undertaken in phases. It is informed that the estimates and proposals for the long-term rebuilding and repair works are required to be put up in the plan budget proposal to be submitted to the Planning Commission which will subsequently release the moneys as part of the annual state plan. All departments have been directed to put up their long term rebuilding proposals to the State government by 30 October. The departments are currently engaged in preparing their project proposals for this purpose. Earlier, the state government had put up a figure of between Rs. 6,000 and Rs. 7,000 crore to the Centre as the estimate of total damage incurred by the State due to the earthquake. This total amount also included the present memorandum for Rs. 3,500 crore put up for immediate rehabilitation, it is informed. As per the directions of the Central government, the state had to put up a lump-sum figure as a memorandum for the immediate restoration and rehabilitation works, particularly those to be undertaken by the line departments. This includes the immediate need for restoration of damaged water supply lines across the State by the Water Supply & PHE Department, the restoration of power supply; the restoration of road network [by the Roads and Bridges department] and also the rehabilitation of students in classrooms where school buildings had been damaged, among others. Senior officers are expected to leave for New Delhi shortly to take up discussions with central officials over the memorandum and other related matters such as whether the earlier Rs. 1,000 crore interim relief declared by the Prime Minister would be part of the total disbursement of the central government for the short term rehabilitation measures. The break up for each of the department from the estimate of Rs. 3,500 crore will also be clear after discussions with central officials. It was just last week that the Chief Secretary had chaired a meeting of heads of various departments in order to prepare the memorandum cataloguing the total rehabilitation costs of each department. This was done soon after the central assessment team had completed their tour of affected areas.
GANGTOK, 19 Oct [IPR]: It has been felt that people are confused with regard to the relocation of offices after the earthquake hit the state. Hence, the office of the Chief Secretary has issued a circular to this extent to be notified to the general public. As per the circular No. 349/CS/SKM/2011 dated 17th October 2011, the Secretariat has now been shifted to the Community Centre at Development Area with immediate effect. The following departments are located there: 1. Office of Chief Secretary 2. Office of Additional Chief Secretary 3. Home Department 4. Finance, Revenue & Expenditure Department 5. Department of Personnel, Adm., Reforms, Trg., Public Grievances, Career Options & Employment Skill Development & Chief Minister’s Self Employment Scheme. 6. Development Planning, Economic Reforms & North Eastern Council Affairs Department. 7. Cultural Affairs & Heritage Department 8. Land Revenue and Disaster Management Department
GANGTOK, 19 Oct: Jungdul Shiwai Jensek - Vajrapani Peaceful Fire Puja for earthquake victims and the well being of the universe and the State of Sikkim in particular was performed at Sa-Ngor Chotshog Centre, Rongyek [SNCC] this morning. The one-day “fire puja” was performed by Sakya Trizin, the supreme head of the Sakya lineage, along with 163 [113 from outside Sikkim] Rinpoches. The Rinpoches were from Nepal, Himachal Pradesh, Dehradun, Darjeeling, Rimbi, Kurseong and Kalimpong. Speaker KT Gyaltsen, who is also the area MLA, was also present for the prayers. Incidentally, the Ngor Gonpa is also celebrating its golden jubilee, the special event for which the Sakya Trizin has travelled to Sikkim
Gangtok, Oct 14: Sikkim’s impressive beauty has won appreciations, but what may come as a misfortune is the dismal conditions of its roads. Narrow highways and potholes leading to Sikkim has now invited Bollywood’s complaints, when the state government is attract filmmakers to shoot in the Himalayan state.Sikkim’s roads have come as a spoiler for Bollywood’s dream. While its scenic beauty has lured many, Bollywood though has a different take. Bollywood actors turned producer-directors Jeetendra and Rakesh Roshan, who are currently in Sikkim, have pointed out the need to improve road conditions. The filmdom duo presently in Sikkim to promote a casino gaming event at a luxury hotel near Gangtok hope improved road conditions would help to showcase Sikkim in Bollywood movies. The duo had to fritter over four hours enroute Gangtok from Bagdogra due to narrow and miserable roads.Rakesh Roshan whose superhero science fiction film ‘Krrish 2’ is to go on floors early December has asserted to shoot some portions of the Hritik Roshan starrer in Sikkim. Roshan had shot Shah Rukh Khan starrer ‘Koyla’ in Arunachal Pradesh. Speaking to media, the duo observed lack of promotion by the state authorities for these states missing movie locations.Jeetendra and Roshan, whose visit comes barely within a month of September 18 devastating earthquake condoled the loss of life and property in Sikkim.
Gangtok, Oct. 10: Parts of North Sikkim still continue to be inaccessible though the administration and schools, crippled since the September 18 earthquake, are expected to function normally from tomorrow. Temporary arrangements have been made so that 779 government schools with their 1.18 lakh students can start functioning. “Classes will start from tomorrow. Whatever temporary arrangements were to be done, has been done,” said HRD secretary C.S. Rao over the phone from Ravangla in South Sikkim. Construction of temporary structures on campuses, hiring buildings near schools for classes and introducing shifts in schools with low enrolments are some of the options that have been worked out. Sikkim government spokesperson K.S. Topgay said aerial sorties to evacuate people stranded in North Sikkim and air-dropping of relief continued during the Puja break by the army choppers and the civilian Pawan Hans helicopters. Chungthang, Lachen and Lachung still remain cut off from Mangan because of landslides along the North Sikkim highway. Mangan is the administrative headquarters of the North district, 30km from Chungthang. Apart from multiple landslides, a 400 metre stretch of the highway had been washed away between Toong and Theeng near Chungthang. “We have managed to cut inside the rocky hillside to create a new road up to 350 metres. Now only 50 metres is left to be created,” said AK Das, the joint director of the Border Roads Organisation’s Project Swastik. “The spot is on a steep incline. Even the rock of the hillside is hard to break,” said Das. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who visited Sikkim on September 29 had directed the BRO to restore the North Sikkim highway to Chungthang by October 15. The highway is important as it is the sole link to the army and ITBP bases on the China border. “All our resources and manpower have been concentrated at this point and the BRO is committed to open the road as soon as possible,” said Das. Nearly Rs 16,000 crore has been released by the state government as ex-gratia for the 21,659 pucca and kutcha houses damaged in East Sikkim. This amount is in addition to the Rs 1.2 crore distributed earlier. The ex-gratia ranges from Rs 3,000 to Rs 50,000, depending on the intensity of the damage and the type of house. “We appeal to those, whose damaged houses have not be been recorded so far, to come to us by October 15. Our officials will survey these houses and we will release ex-gratia for the genuine claims. We don't want to leave out any genuine cases,” said district collector D. Anandan. Around 100 claims from owners of damaged houses were received at the district control room during the Puja break. The claims should be reported to the administrative centre in Sichey, Gangtok, where the district authorities will resume work from tomorrow. Anandan has been camping at the district control room at MG Marg since the earthquake. “We will be shifting to the district administrative centre from Monday and resume our normal functions along with relief work related with the earthquake,” said the district collector. According to officials of North Sikkim, 3,361 houses have suffered major and minor damage in the Mangan subdivision including Dzongu. Assessment of the damage is in progress at Lachung, Lachen and Chungthang.