Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Tenzin Yangkyi from Switzerland crowned Miss Tibet 2011

 
Teenzin Yangkyi

 DHARAMSALA: Sipping coffee with her mother, Tenzin Dekky and elder sister, Kelsang Dolma, Miss Tibet 2011 celebrated victory with her small family in Tennor restaurant in McLeodganj here.
A student of class 11 in Zurich, 17-year-old Tenzin Yangki lives in Switzerland with her elder sister, mother and father. For Yangki, a dream has come true to become Miss Tibet 2011. She worked as a sales executive for two years to earn money to participate in Miss Tibet 2011 contest.

Interacting with media on Monday, Yangki said, "I had worked as a sales executive in FMCG sector for two years in Zurich. It feels very painful to live a life of exile and this is the right platform through which we can represent our Tibet. I came here from Switzerland to encourage the Tibetan youth to participate in such events held under the banner of our country, which help minimize the pain of exiled life."

"My father was born in Canada and mother in Sikkim in a refugee camp. We find it difficult to meet our people to share life and interact with them in Tibetan language. These types of events give us a feel of oneness," she said.
Yangki's father is an accountant at the airport in Zurich and mother is a housewife while her elder sister works as a teacher of belly dancing and Yangki was working in sales for the last two years, for their livelihood. "I had always dreamed to represent my country before the world. I wanted to participate in Miss Tibet contest at the age of 16 years, but my mother refused to allow me, because I was too young at that time" she said.
Tenzin Yangki flew to India in March this year, along with her sister and mother, to participate in the event. They will return to Switzerland in July. "I was not well at that time when we came to India but the strong wish of my daughter made us come to India. Yangki is a hard worker and she always remains firm on her will," her mother said.
Talking about future strategy, Tenzin Yangki said her first priority would be to complete her schooling and after that, she will work to encourage Tibetan youth in organizing such events and participate in the same for representing the Tibetan cause before the world.
"Our elders don't allow us to participate in such events because of the swim suit round. But now, I will suggest the organizers to find a wayout so that everyone could be a part of the event," she said.
Expressing her feelings on becoming Miss Tibet, she said she was feeling more confident now. "I am proud to be a Tibetan and my struggle has not ended after becoming Miss Tibet. It has only started now," she said.



No comments: